Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 29: Painting the Basement

Day 29: Painting the Basement
So on Wednesday at 7:00 P.M., our whole family began to paint the basement. It was nice because we really hadn't done a group activity before in a long time. The last time I can recall we did such a thing (without some huge arguement) was when we went to church to pack food. Now that I recall this experience from 3 days before, I can feel the feeling of happiness and community that's often so rare in our home. It was truly a memorable experience.
But, of course, every experience cannot be memorable without pictures!! So I uploaded this picture of our accomplishment.
(While we were working, I played Mariah Carey's #1 Hits CD. Everyone liked it, but yet again, who wouldn't??!?!)
We finished around 12:30 A.M. and decided to go out to eat. Too bad nothing was open! We first decided to go to Steak and Shake, but my dad's a health freak and didn't want to go. So then we drove further to Mcdonald's (which of course is a lot healthier than it's other fast-food counterpart) but it was closed. AHHH!!! It was around 1: 20 by then, so we drove to another Mcdonald's. That one was open, but we had to wait 15 minutes for our food cause there were 3 cars in front of us in the drive-in. Can you believe that??? Waiting at a Mcdonald's for food at 1:00 in the morning?!?! And I always thought late-night openings were just silly....
Then we went back home, where everyone just collapsed on their beds. I made my new bed in the new basement we had (whoo!!!) which was about 20 degrees colder than the rest of the house. So it was basically heaven.
Plus, before even painting the basement, I literally spent four hours vacuuming and mopping my new bedroom. Now, I definitely don't enjoy cleaning my house, but when something's really really really REALLY dirty, I tend to be more than willing. And believe me, that basement was horrendous; it hadn't been cleaned up in at least 10 years. There was dust everywhere, layering the floor along with patches of dirt.
And the WORST part of it were the spiders!! I basically took the vaccuum and sucked up every living spider down there. There must have been 50 or more (no exaggeration) which is so gross if you think about it. 50 spiders in one room???
By the time I finished vaccuuming every cobweb, sucking every spider, scraping every mold of dust, moving very heavy couches, and then washing the floor with Pine Sol and wiping the walls of dirt, I was exhausted!! But, I must say, I was very proud of myself for being so diligent.
That night, I don't think I've slept any better than any night in my life.

0 comments: