Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 21: My Friends

Day 21: My Friends
So.... you got your "small-chat" friends who you talk to in your classes to make time pass by. They laugh at the jokes you make and ask you how your day is, but not cause they genuinely care. It's just so they can make the feeling of loneliness go away. They couldn't care less about your trip to the movies. They just want someone to talk to so that the people around you don't think they're a loner. They are your "small-chat" friends. Then you got your "bipolar" friends who are sometimes really nice and then really mean. Oh boy...the worst fear. Not knowing if your friend is having a good day or not, cause based on their current emotions, your either gonna be taking a lot of verbal shit or a lot of verbal praise. Comments range from "Yo, what's up" to "you're a scrub." [god, I hate that phrase!] Nonetheless, they say "hi" to you in the hallways cause they genuinely do like you, it's just they can be bitchy sometimes. These are the most annoying friends to have, and I wish I was strong enough to just reject them. Cause they honestly don't respect you. Friends who trash-talk you and generally treat you like shit on their bad days don't respect you. They should just be pushed aside.... Then you got your "quiet, shy" friends who you feel extremely comfortable around cause you know you don't have to prove anything. You don't have to prove your greatness as a person, how cool you are; don't have to say swear words to keep pizzaz in your conversations, don't have to make fun of gay ppl cause it's cool. Nope. These are your quiet friends who may or maynot care about your weekend, but always ask in a genuine manner. These are people you can count on NOT to be bitchy, but always neutral or kind. The only problem is....they are sometimes so shy they don't say "hi" to you in the halls. (BOO....) And that can cause a strain in growing a friendship. Oh well....at least they are nice. Kindness is always a trait everyone values, no matter how old you are. Then there's your "all-around" above average friend. They are eager to be with you and always greet you. They like being with you, and take everything in moderation. They are just naturally cool around you, and although they may ridicule you sometimes, it's almost always in a lighthearted manner. And if they actually DO make fun of you, they almost always come back later to apologize. You can walk with them along the lake and talk about your deepest feelings, who you have a crush on, blah blah.... These are people you enjoy seeing cause they have your back. But, on select days they can really do something nasty to pull your buttons. And then comes the cycle or "I'm mad at you, how could you" to "I'm sad, don't talk to me" to "Let's be friends again." This cycle range from 1 day to years. They are good friends, nonetheless. And then there is your "ideal" friend, the "perfect" friend that doesn't exist. He is someone you hope to find, or even marry, but can't cause there's no one in the world. They are ALWAYS nice and caring and friendly, never ditch you for some better friend, genuinely care about your life, listens, blah blah blah.....they don't exist. Oh well....enough of that! And then, if you're in my situation and a teenager, you have your adult friends. These are the people who grew out of being a bitchy teenager that thought playing it cool in front of all their friends was the right thing to do. And now they realize that life is about making an actual living and raising a family. And how those things require responsibility and genuine kindness, things far from a teenager mind. And these people honestly don't give a shit about how many girls they lay anymore; what they do value is their children and their career. These are the friendly people who like talking to teenagers like me because they think they'll have an impact on their lives. And they like to "wish you a good day" because they really do hope that comes true. They're just nice like that. Nice people who try hard to find a place in your life, the youth of the present world. Adults are steady people who are like taller, wrinkled versions of your "above-average" friends. Except, minus all the drama that accompanies being a teenager. These are the friends I have. I wish I had more "above average" friends, but sadly, most fall into the quiet, shy friends or small talk friends. I think I have about 4 "above average" friends who genuinely love me, but that's hard to deal with in a high school of 2,000 peeps. Nonetheless, they are all extremely nice, and 2 of them I have spent my childhood growing up with. Then I have the two "bipolar" friends who are sooooooooooooo bitchy sometimes. I mean, seriously!!! Does anyone know who I'm talking about? They start out as good seeds, then slowly they start weeding in all this negativity into their conversations and then BOOM! They're now trash-talking you. For reals? I mean, seriously? Trash talk your friend? God, I hate teenagers sometimes. I honestly wish sometimes I never met them before.....ugh Then I have a bunch of those "quiet, shy" friends who I try to talk to cause I'm pretty friendly towards them. They are just SOOOO easy to talk to!!! They are the equivalent to a soft armchair. I feel so nervous around extroverts, but when it comes to those introverts, man! I feel like I could tell them anything...does anyone else feel that way too? Anyways, they are usually just really nice people who I like to talk to cause they listen. And you can usually tell they like you. But, they're so quiet!!!!!! So sometimes they don't talk to you at all until you strike the conversation! It's annoying sometimes, but yet again I understand them. They have a hard time finding something to talk about. And then those "small-chat" friends. Boring. Moving on....... Adult friends are extremely weird to have, but nonetheless very satisfying. I mean, honestly, coming from a teenager, I think having adult friends is just as crucial to having friends in general. In my opinion, if you just had teenager friends, your life would be so void of the "adult world" and all your views would be centered around youth culture. It's nice to see the 50-year old librarian in her checkered shirt asking you how your day was while putting books away, as opposed to seeing the nicely-styled fashions of your 16-year old friend. These people keep me humble, they keep me happy too. They care about things that matter in life.....responsibility, purpose. They care about purpose in life, while teenagers are bedridden with fantasies of pleasure and popularity. Ugh.... Thanks adult friends; I know you think I don't appreciate you cause I'm 30+ years younger than you, but you guys keep me stable. And thanks to those friends who try to make me feel happy and genuinely care about me even when I get that bad haircut, or am going through a rough time, or if they just don't understand my situation in life. Thanks for sticking by me.

0 comments: