Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 28a: Walt Whitman, Mariah Carey, Japanese Friend, Mom, Red Bracelet, etc. (UPDATE)

1! Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" So Walt Whitman's probably the guy you read (or at least saw) in your history books. He was supposedly one of America's greatest authors, but like most teenagers, I really didn't care too much. Or rather, it's because he was just another name in a history book to memorize. Well, a week before school ended I was sitting next to my friend Natalie, and she was reading this book "Leaves of Grass." I asked her about it and she said it was a very good book. Typical, typical, Natalie. She's super smart and loves to read books; she told me she reads at least one book a day in the summer. Yet she's the most humble person, never bragging about herself or looking down on you. Anyways, so I decided to look up Walt Whitman on wikipedia, and interestingly he is said to have been bisexual or even gay!!! That really got me interested, so I decided to read his life's work in "Leaves of Grass." I've been reading it these past weeks, and I absolutely LOVE it. It's divided into sections each with a different theme: self, friendship, nature, the Civil War, etc. But the most interesting section is called "Calamus" and it deals with "manly love"/friendship. Basically, it's a collection of poems dealing with the theme of friendship with men and women in his life. And after reading some of them, I can definitely see why he is regarded as at least bisexual. His literature is beautiful, and I think what makes it soooooooooo cool is that homosexuality in literature could even be found in the 1800's when everyone was uber conservative and Christian. It's definitely nothing like some of the other gay literature I've read, like "Rainbow High" by Alex Sanchez, "Peter" by Kate Walker, "Blackbird" by Larry Duplechan, or even "Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky. None of the all-too-common teen love stories; nope. "Leaves of Grass" is pure poetry, very romantic even for a 16 year old like me. 2! I NEED a JOB!!! So, I really really need a job!!! I've applied to Jewel, Oberweis, Blockbuster, AMC Movies, Kumon, everywhere. But no one's hiring and it sucks. My parents told me it was cause a lot of stores are hiring less employees because they wan't to save money. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait..... 3! I just got Mariah Carey's #1 Hits CD So previously I've never really cared about Mariah. I just knew she was really famous and had loads of cash. But, on the whim I decided to check out her CD from the library and she has some really really really, and I mean, really really good music! (Maybe cause it's her #1 hits?!?) But, yeah, I've been cranking up the CD in the car, and now my family is into her. God, I can't believe her music was so good. It's usually either some amazing power ballad [Vision of Love] or some extremely funky, upbeat tune [Fantasy, Emotions].
Just today, I was riding in the car, and since it was 102 F outside, I rolled down the windows and stuck my window to feel the wind. Wow, did that feel nice. Next time you get in a car and your not driving, stick your head out the window to feel the breeze. Anyways, I basically sailed down the highway with "Vision of Love" playing full blast while the wind caressed my sweaty face. Pure bliss. 3! Cousins are Coming!! So my cousins are coming all the way from Southeast Asia (yes, they're oriental.) And I'm not too excited, quite honestly, just cause they're not the kind of people you can have fun with, no offence. And I know you guys know what I'm talking about... It's just that they're all such smart people and so intellectual that it'd be hard for me to relate to them. Not to mention the fact that two of them are female 24/25 year old college graduates while one is a 8-yr old boy (who is very annoying!!!) I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I just honestly don't expect much from their visit. I'm not gonna treat them like crap, I'll still be nice to them, it's just that it'll be extremely awkward for all of us.
4! Red Bracelet Experiment Well, remember how I wrote an entry stating I wasn't going to masturbate for a WHOLE MONTH?? Yeah, lol, that never happened. I don't even think it was 3 days. I'm not going to give up though, so I revived that experiment again, and today is DAY 6. YEAH!!!!!! I haven't masturbated for 6 days.......I'm also a 16 yr old male. So YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll definitely be writing more about this; an entire new post dedicated to this challenge and why I'm even doing it! 5! Mom Had Surgery.....No Biggie My mom had surgery....it's actually kind of private. I thought it was really serious (oh no! surgery) but the operation took less than 10 minutes and it wasn't even life-threatening. It was actually no big deal. Okay then.............. 6! My Japanese Friend Moved......(I'm Sad) So I go to a school that is supposedly in the top 1% of all high schools in the nation. I had a good Japanese friend who was in band with me, same instrument, and she adored Studio Ghibli films as much as I did. She even had a Studio Ghibli piano book; she was amazing. Unfortunately, she had to leave in February to go to Texas. She gave me her email, but then I lost it!! God, I'm such a turd! It wasn't until June that I got her email from another friend who had it. Well, basically I emailed her and she was extremely happy to hear from me. I sent this really really long letter saying how fucked up I was to have lost her email, and that's why I didn't email her back in February. She was totally cool about it, so it's all good. 7! I'm going to write more about stuff; I actually have to post my comic again, so I'll do that now. And I have to write about my masturbation experiment as well as "you know who" (I'm talking to myself.)

0 comments: