Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 32: Day 3 @ Chicago (w/ cousins +1 !!!!!!)

Day 32: Museum of Science and Industry
July 1, 2009
I'm MAD cause the Smart House exhibit was closed at the museum. UGH!!!! It was the only one I really wanted to see, cause it featured ways you could conserve energy in your house. Basically, it's this eco-green exhibit where you can enter an actual house and see the different appliances used (like solar panels, water-saving faucets, etc.) to create a more environmentally friendly house.
I am crazy about the environment, so naturally I'm mad about this exhibit being closed. (get the pun...hehe)
There was a very intriging futuristic exhibit that I thought was the most interesting thing in the museum. Basically, there were displays of a bunch of highly advanced technologies being developed, from the indoor farm to paper food.
Now, some of them seemed extremely typical and not-too-promising, like the anti-aging technology. Basically, the guy proposed that he could make humans live virtually forever, which I believe is probably a little more distant than the near future. But, there were some very interesting ones, like the "indoor farm" where this guy was trying to grow crops in a skyscraper in order to eliminate pest and land problems. That seemed actually realistic.
There was also this very very interesting thing where some chef was able to make a piece of edible paper taste like cotton candy. He said it could be used for astronauts, but my only question is: Does the paper have the same calories as a meal? Weird..........
And of course, they had the "Earth Revealed" exhibit which I had to see because I'm an earth freak. My only nail to pick at was the fact that the information given in the presentation was so basic. "Global warming is causing temperatures to rise"...."earth's species are being threatened by developing countries"....I mean, come on? Are we still explaining the mechanisms behind global warming? That's a Kindergarden lesson in the environmental world.
Oh, and btw, there was this really cute guy in a gray shirt that I saw everywhere in the museum. Actually, he just walked with us for two exhibits, but when it's someone hot, it feels like everywhere. Anyways, I kind of got distracted in the exhibits cause I kept staring at him. Just wanted to write that down...
After we left and my dad was driving us all around Chicago, I wrote this entry:
" [ directly from diary] I just went to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.
I'm kind of sad for some reason. Maybe it's the weather, cause it's very gray and rainy. Or maybe because I've been walking around all day and I'm tired. Well, I don't know the cause of my sadness. All I know is that I'm sad and I feel purposeless. Now, I don't know if I feel purposeless because I'm sad, but I just know something isn't right.
Why did I go to this museum? Why am I taking pictures? Why am I here? This feeling has been haunting me for my whole adolescent lifetime. The feeling of despair thinking about the limits, the emptiness in all things finite, where nothing lasts forever."
I think I felt this emptiness and sadness when I saw the buildings around me while driving along the Chicago shorelines. Here's another entry I wrote:
"It sometimes makes me sad to see new buildings, or new TV's. Maybe it's unconscious greed. But, then again it could be just that I hate to know that they'll disappear in 2, 5, 10, or even a century past, but no matter, they will disappear. It's sad; maybe I could find something happy about this when I'm typing this??"
I'm thinking of Mariah Carey right now. I see her on stage at the 1990's Grammy Awards. Wow, she was a pretty amazing. She was a shining starlet, as they say. But, like everyone else, like Michael Jackson, they will all eventually fade. It's true that nothing, and no one, lasts forever.
I think that what depresses me about the world: how finite everything is. How our buildings, our accomplishments, our latest edition iPhone or what we thought was eternal cameras are all going to disappear someday. Even the people around us will someday be dead, be finite. I want something everlasting!
I want that house that won't ever fall down; I want that person who will love me forever. Where love is not something that comes and goes, that doesn't fade away after 2 years or a single day. I want that person who will live, everlasting, with me.
Wow, am I crazy? Better question: does anyone understand what I'm saying???!?! Wow, I need to post this in a seperate entry so that when I look back at my entries in 10 years, I'll be able to find it, not lodged under "Day 31: Day 3 @ Chicago"
------------------
Eventually, my mood changed when the sun came out again and I went to this awesome Mcdonald's in the downtown area.
We also ate at Chinatown (Happy Chef, anyone?) which was delicious. That's why we always go to that restaurant and nowhere else.
I eventually got home and went to sleep. Nothing special. I just wanted to remember today for what I realized was a finite world.

0 comments: