Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day 36a: Progression of Final Fantasy Males

Day 36a: Final Fantasy Male Leads FINAL FANTASY VII This was the first Final Fantasy I played, so I guess I'll start here. (Plus the fact that it's the first in the series to move to a Playstation console. ) Well, first off I know what you're thinking. The graphics suck. But, actually this game was considered one of the best graphic games back then. So don't be too turned off. The guy's name is CLOUD STRIFE and he is very famous in the Final Fantasy realm. Back then, the animators tended to create characters very very specific to their gender roles, thus the fact that this guy has very manly features. But, since the game was not graphically advanced enough to add enough detail (persay a mouth or nose) to his form, I wasn't too attracted to him. FINAL FANTASY VIII The next guy's name is SQUALL LEONHART and he is the most attractive male lead in any of the Final Fantasy series. Actually, I think he's the most attractive of any male in the series. Once again, Square-Enix sought to create a character with very protruding male characteristics (yes!) Thus, he is shown to be very fierce in many of his poses. I just chose to select the poses that weren't so fierce, cause then he looks really cute. Hottest Final Fantasy character ever FINAL FANTASY X This guy's name is TIDUS. I have to admit, when I first saw this image on the video game container, I was like "Wow, this guy is cute." Well, unfortunately this is his most outwardly, manly appearance. This character was certainly a deviation from the previous Final Fantasy leads, which all had very gender-specific appearances. Tidus, for instance, has many more feminine facial features, deviating away from the narrow chin and rugged face. He also acts a bit more "flamboyant", especially when he's talking. Talk about hand gestures...... His personality is also a lot more open, which is not at all bad, but it didn't have that "I'm a loner, but I'm tough" kind of feel that the other two [Cloud Strife and Squall Leonhart] had. He's a pretty likeable person though, and I think he has the best personality of them all. In fact, he might be my favorite Final Fantasy character...... FINAL FANTASY X-2 First off, let me just say that this game is NOT a good representation of the series. This was quite honestly a sham for the series, so if you're planning to buy a Final Fantasy game, DON'T get this. Not only that, but it DOES NOT have any male leads. The leads are actually three females! These three are just the supporting characters, and even then they aren't too hot. However, this game really allowed Square-Enix to disperse their originality in the characters more, so you could have Nooj, the tough rugged guy, Baralai, the more soft-spoken feminine type, and Gippal, the clowny, cut guy. Overall, however, not enough male leads. FINAL FANTASY XII OH BOY, this is where Square-Enix animators definitely changed their approach to drawing characters. This guy's name is VAAN. Square-Enix animators completely deviated from the traditional strong masculine character, and definitely wanted to emphasize much more feminine characterists. Just look at any snapshot of him in the game or an official wallpaper. For one, his isn't clothed in a traditional "tough guy" uniform, with his vest hanging loosely from his bare chest. It almost makes him look very gay, lol! He also isn't portrayed as very muscular. His hair is definitely a more feminine hairstyle to go with his feminine face. I am NOT SAYING he is a girl, but I'm definitely telling you that the animators wanted to create a character that had major female and male characters, almost to the point of creating someone almost unisex in appearance. Now, you may ask "Why would Square-Enix do this?" The obvious answer is that they want to appeal to a bigger crowd, persay the female gamers. While I do think it's a very clever idea, I don't think it helped too much. Especially since this game didn't sell nearly as well as it's predessesors, but that could be Final Fantasy X-2's fault, so Anyways, I didn't like these characters. They were SOOOOOOOOOOOO generic and 2-D in personality. I mean, there wasn't even a love story!!!! That was the saddest thing about the game. No one was madly in love with the other, and they all just went along like a bunch of strangers on this stupid quest. I really really really didn't like this game, sry The other guy was Balthier; he isn't really a main character, but he's worth mentioning. This guy was pretty cute, although I didn't really like his voice too well, no offence. It's just that I would have preferred him as a sweetheart, not always the wise-alec he was in the game. Idk, he's still pretty good-looking though....

FINAL FANTASY XIII

This game hasn't come out yet, but judging from the screenshots this looks awesome. I need to get it. This guy's name is SNOW. I am so happy that the company is returning to it's more masculine-orientated characters, cause honestly, Vaan was just plain annoying the whole game. He looks like such a badass. What a hottie.

FINAL FANTASY XIV It's amazing how Square-Enix works so far in advance. They're already planning the next set. This guy is TOO hot, omg. I'm seriously swooning over him, and this time I don't feel as weird/guilty cause this guy looks soooooooo real. He almost looks like Chace Crawford, right? Anways, I hope he's involved in some big love story, cause then he might become a very famous male character. ------------------------------------------FINALE---------------------------------------------- Hottest Male Character: Definitely Squall. His really rugged looks make him look very hot, and adds onto his whole ego appearance. Not only that, but he seems to have the ability to switch from being "tough-guy hottie" to "cutest guy in town." I mean, all he has to do is smile and it's like wow, u are soooooooo cute. However, I will say that the guy from FXIV isn't too far from my radar... Best Personality: Definitely Tidus, although only for a lead. (I like Cid and Red XIII's personalities the best.) He is very upbeat, and he's very good at displaying leadership, even if he doesn't fit in as a typical general-guy. I think what he does best is boost morale and encourage everyone, which is nice. Plus, he is such a sweetheart with his lover, vowing to protect her to the very end. It's beautiful. Worst Overall: Vaan. Hated, hated, HATED him. He wasn't a lover, a guardian, etc. He was simply an adventurer with his own dreams, which made me kind of sad. And his personality was so 1-sided. It was always "Let's get from point A to B", but that may be because of the minimal amount of dialogue in the game compared to the others. I just didn't like him.

0 comments: